Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Fading


My love was brain dead. I was in the ICU to say ‘Bye’. And ‘I love you’.
A lady stood at the next bed. She was not saying anything.
That was a sad case. He was paralyzed, near total, except for his eyes.
It was weird, those eyes alive in a face dead. They made love with their eyes. I should not have stared like a voyeur. They reached for each other. They kissed. They did not blink. They contracted, dilated. The light dimmed, lit up. They filled up. They did not blink when it overflowed. There was a sad smile at the end. She did not let the nurse close his eyes. I stared with envy.
It would have been nice if I believed in the afterlife. He would meet her there. He would tell her that I stared at them. He would tell her that I wanted to see her eyes open before she left.
She might tell him, ‘Maybe, I did. He was looking at you two then.’
It does not matter what they say there.


No comments :

Post a Comment