Thursday, December 3, 2015

Arranging Love


In early 1990, I told my parents, “I love a woman. I want to marry her.”
They said, “Wish you two the very best.”
They did not even ask, “Have we met her?” They had not.
My love experienced the same in her camp.
The parents did not offer any assistance. They expected us to arrange everything–from the invitations to the honeymoon. Our friends offered zero-interest loans but they wanted a grand party.
In mid-1990, we told our respective parents, “The marriage’s not happening.”
They shrugged.
End of 1990, my parents told me, “We have found a girl for you.”
I shrugged.
In early 1991, I got married. I did not have to do anything. The wedding was grand. Friends had a great time. The gifts were lovely–especially the honeymoon package. Even the bride was okay–my old love. She too had milked her folks dry.


No comments :

Post a Comment