Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Marveled At The Inconsequence


I am in the mood to write about a matter of no consequence. Do you know that there is a difference between that and the ordinary?
One remembers the ordinary for being a reassuring boredom or a melancholic treat of self-pity or even a flight of fantasy, like meeting with friends or a gossip session or reading novels. Even the searching look of males that nearly strips me naked is ordinary though I am amazed at times that a flick of my hair is enough to trigger the lascivious and a dress of daring décolletage is superfluous. My laughter at lunchtime is definitely ordinary. It is just a trick to stay on top of men with a feint of reduced resistance. They usually associate laughter and friendship with submission and abysmal intellect. But, all that is ordinary. I do it every day (nearly) and it is just for sweet survival. That is not the stuff I want to think about right now.
I want to think about a matter of no consequence. Let me define it as something which needs a bloody effort to be remembered. [In my diary, why can’t I call it bloody though it seems to have troubling connotations with rape and male domination over the centuries?]
I have been in the department for a week. I happen to be the only ‘gal’ around. Even the stuck-ups wallowing in self-importance have noticed my existence. I go to the Canteen with the group and the conversation usually centers round me. It helps to be a social animal – to take in that mixture of false laughter, condescending agreement and uninvited criticism. There are a few in the department who go for lunch separately. They look like misfits. One of them seems ideal as a matter of no consequence.
I had a brief one-to-one meeting with him during my first round of interviews. He had done his homework, probably to look a bit smart. It was quite apparent even then that he likes my company because I am a woman, quite typical, I know. I have talked to him once or twice since I joined. He is hoping to be a friend, at the least, I am sure. [His exuberance or attention reminds me of a manic cousin that I had. That cousin was always excessive in whatever he did – letters, plans for the future, affection, dejection or abuse, anything and everything. It was not at all surprising when he jumped in front of an express train. A manic mess, he was. Ah, I am digressing…]
I suspect that he knows his own limitations. He is not attractive. He does not speak well. He is not charming. He does not even have a smile worth noticing. And the worst part is that he doesn’t seem to have qualities to dislike him either. I can never remember his name. He never introduces himself. I wonder how it is like to be somebody worse than ordinary, someone nearly invisible, a matter of no consequence whatsoever…

Note: This was written long back. A few months after I wrote it, a good friend and colleague happened to read this. She confronted me with, ‘Is this what you think of me?’ ‘Of course not,’ I replied. It is just fiction, my reply and the rest.

4 comments :

  1. Impressed with the take on the feminine mind.. :)
    reminds me somehow of Scarlet O hara.. in a office version.. :)

    Glad Mashe that you got out of that trouble.. he he! (referring to the notes column!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm...Scarlet O Hara? Hmmmm :)))

    Or a female version of Rhett Butler? :))))))))))

    Oye, wrt the notes, THAT was actually a lovely friendship...only fictitious trouble...HaHa

    Thanks once again, KP Mashe...Cheerio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it Capt Butler? I dont think so.. he was so sure of what he did and told wat he liked.. But Scarlet.. well she was mid way.. between him and the normals.. wasnt she? she said wat she meant only occasionally and only to him.. so even if she enjoys things she seldom puts it that way..

      Oh! some how this conversation has nothing to do with this post!! :D ha ha!

      Delete
  3. :)))))))))

    Btw, that is one book where I have read only the last lines...:)))))))

    ReplyDelete