Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Where I died before I was born


I was a hero then.
In tattered fatigues,
Camouflaged blackened face
With mama’s eyeliner,
I dug trenches, built barricades
Around fanciful dreams,
Enacted the best
Of Commando comics –
I loved the Air force:
Vroom , swooosh…I somersaulted, I turned
Ta-ta-ta, dish-keow…my gunner killed, maimed.
 I always returned to a waiting family.
She was always there to place flowers on my grave
With that strange epitaph ‘he died before he was born’.


But then she died
And I decayed.
Nightmares kept me awake
With a lullaby about my brave deeds:
I smiled, rubbed my hands with glee
When I dropped Fat Man and Little Boy
My mustache nearly singed
While I watched flesh vapourizing below;
I was a glad voyeur
In those killing fields, in that nation called Tragedy,
I hooted and cheered, a spectator’s sport it was
While my friends raped and killed women with blank eyes;
I bombed the bunker at Amiriyah in Feb 1991
Man, it was a blast
Thousands, dude, thousands within
They lie when they say it was innocent parents, children.
Why am I there
In all those wars where I died before I was born?


And now, when I should be telling grandkids grand tales
I have to go for my real war
Well within the border, with my own lot.
I blasted my superior about keeping me inferior;
Do you know how he squealed and begged
When my fingers closed around his windpipe
And I pulled it out, blood-spattering good it was!
I watched paid-goons rule the street
Tormenting, dictating, calling me slave;
I waited, I promised, I conned masses
To follow me Spartacus to fight like animals.
Then, one night I heard them on my land
They said it is not mine no more
For the last fight, I unsheathed my sword, charged
Like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Blinded, deafened by the roar of their blazing guns.
I have to go for my real war
Where I died before I was born.

6 comments :

  1. Aw.. Arjun I read it before 4 days, read it again today... your use of words are amazing and the way you write is too good..

    I felt that I understood it correctly, but then it confuses me.. was it about a dead person of about some one whose soul died..?

    parayuvo mashee..? enthe kaienu poi.. he he

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinne enthe storyum poem okke kanditu veruthe "Nice" yennu parayathe.. points to improve paranjudee?? njanum padikkate.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :))))))))

    Dear KP...Adutha pravasyam "Nice" allannu parayaam...:)))

    Veruthe tamasha...

    Usually njan kurey parayarille? :)))

    Mashe, kizhavanmarkku mathrame padippikkaan pattoolu alle? Njan varum kuttiyaa...:)))))))

    Cheerio
    Arjun

    ReplyDelete
  4. KP,

    Is it that bad - 4 days to read 3 stanzas? :)))))))

    The first part is of course a kid's view of war - patriotism, romantic and all that crap.

    The third part deals with a man's daily wars.

    The second part are the wars that defined his life: the ever-present mushroom cloud, the killing fields of Vietnam/Cambodia/Eastern
    Europe/Africa/does-it-matter-where, the Gulf Wars...of course, his presence is virtual but it is quite real to him.

    I have tried to cook up various meanings for the title and maybe that might help...:)))

    (a) It could mean that hero is defeated even before the fight. (b) It could also mean that a man who enters such a war would be senseless and dead. (c) Before a person starts living his life,that person has been defeated/"killed" by society and its ways. (d)Some of us manage to live the way that we want to live, some die without ever being able to live according to their hopes and desires...

    I could give a lot of meanings...but I hope you get the gist of what I am trying to say...

    Thx a ton for reading this, dear KP...

    By the way, the inspiration of any war-poem must be Wilfred Owen's "Dulce et decorum est"...you must have read it...if you have not, try that poem (especially the last 4 lines which are my favourite):

    http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/owen1.html

    Cheers
    Arjun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot.. this would help not just me.. but others who read this too..
    thanks for the link, but war stories are not my cup of tea I guess.. makes me sick..Sorry!

    Oh appo vayasan alle? njan karuthi pallu okke poya oru paavam appopanannennu.. he he thanks for your comments in my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear KP,

    War should make everyone sick...as for stories, one should read the right poems and stories and see the right movies...those "brave" ones make me sick...

    Pallu okke poyi, pakshe kutti thanne aanu...Ha Ha..

    Puthiyathu enthenkilum ezhuthiyo? Njan angottu varunnondu...

    ReplyDelete