Thursday, May 15, 2014

Time To Go


I expected the worst when I received Hosappan at the airport. But, I got a hug, a tired smile and a whisper, ‘Take me home.’
He slept for most of that hour’s drive, and when awake he stared out, at the fading green, the early light and the plastic bags with garbage that lined the highway.
I had arranged the trip (‘go and see your old haunt’), he had refused (‘this will go to pieces’) and I had offered to take care of ‘this’ (his house and farm).
When we got there, I expected him to criticize my house-keeping.
But, he said, ‘Nice, thank you.’
He settled in his arm-chair, lit one of his customized beedis and took a long drag.
‘Is that the first one in two weeks?’ I asked.
He turned to me, light of his old self flickering in his eyes, ‘You bastard, you didn’t tell me that people have gone totally crazy. I lit one and a mother started screaming as if I had raped her child.’
‘Did you meet her?’ I asked.
‘As for the food, food indeed…! God, I give better stuff to my cows. Kids munch bowls of green leaves! I asked for beef and the waitress, who seemed decent till then, refused to take my order till I changed it to fish. It’s so depressing everywhere… even the supermarkets… healthy food, GM-free food, organic food… the labels are enough to put you off food!’
‘Did you at least call her?’
‘There was this shop giving free cakes. I asked for a brownie, they were offended…’
‘You must have asked for more than that…’
‘Well, I said, a brownie for a brownie, please! Why should they get offended by that?’
‘Hosappa, you just can’t…’
‘Yeah, yeah… politically correct crap!’
‘Did you call her, Hosappa?’ I persisted.
‘I did. She is alone, a widow, kids elsewhere. Hey, do you know that everyone goes around everywhere with a slate and pencil… reminded me of the days when she and I used to go to school, carrying our precious slate and pencil.’
I guessed that he was referring to tablets and smart-phones.
‘They talk to themselves too. We used to do a lot of that, as kids.’
‘You still do,’ I said. ‘Why didn’t you meet her?’
‘I love her. I can’t take another goodbye.’
‘You two could be together…’
He shook his head.
‘My world is shrinking. It’s time to go…’

2 comments :

  1. Hello Arjun,

    When something this short is written by you.. Shouldn't one be careful to read between lines.. Or at least the lines carefully.
    When that realization occurs in those few lines in the end.. It felt like a tap on the back of the head (urs I guess) and an ahhh....!!!! :-)

    I just have one question... Who says those last words.. And why...

    Thanks,
    KP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KP,

      Thanks a lot for reading this one.

      The foster uncle says those words. Possibly, mouthing the author's thoughts. I think the old man has little desire to continue in this world, a world which hardly suits him.

      Best wishes.

      Delete