Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Coming, Going


When the door-bell rang, he was adjusting the volume control of the hi-fi. Without heeding the bell, he listened to the music for a while, comfortably numbed and also bemused by not being able to recollect the name of the composer. It matched well, he thought, with the bright blue sky peeping through lace curtains and the cool dewy early morning air.

He went to the door and opened. He smiled at her as she walked in without a word. He closed the door and leaned against it, watching her. She kept her hand-bag on a side-table and her wind-cheater folded on the back of a chair. Then, she went to him. They stood there, hand in hand, looking at each other, smiling.

‘Missed you…’ she said as he pulled her towards him. ‘So much…’ The ‘much’ lingered long, soft and thick in the air, till they kissed.

They held each other as they swayed with the music, languorous dancing with impromptu steps, instincts leading and following. She leaned against his broad chest, opened a few buttons on his shirt and lightly traced lines in the light hair. Her left hand curled under his arm and held onto his shoulder or caressed his back. His hand circled around her, held her close and tight, with his head resting against her forehead or lightly kissing her ears, her hair, her forehead, her cheeks, her lips. His right hand lingered on her naked skin beneath her blouse, teasing and caressing, moving gently with the music from her breasts to her waist, back and forth.

‘How I wish I could remain like this forever…’ she said later when they rested on the floor cushions. ‘I could sleep…I could dream…lying here, against your chest, I feel so…’ her voice trailed.

Around noon, they dressed, rustled up a quick lunch and shared the meal standing in the compact kitchen of his rented well-furnished studio apartment. Two sparrows came to the kitchen window, looked in, tilted their head sideways and chirped at them and at each other. She opened the window and sprinkled some bread crumbs saying, ‘Sparrow-kutta…here…’ The birds came warily, pecked and left. He watched her, smiled at her, and happy with himself feeling her life filling every nook and cranny of his existence.

Around mid-afternoon, she put on her wind-cheater, picked up her hand-bag and moved towards the door. They kissed long and deeply.

‘I wish I didn’t have to go…’ she said and left.

He stood by the doorway and watched her walk away. A strange afternoon breeze disturbed her hair and he wanted to comb it down with his fingers. He watched her swaying hips and straight back. He remembered that he had first noticed her while admiring her elegant walking style. He stood there till she vanished.

He went back inside. He collected his belongings and packed it all in two suitcases and a large cardboard box. He cleaned up the place thoroughly trying for its pristine condition. At dusk, he rested for a while, sipping water, lazily reading an old mid-day newspaper, a leftover of his packing.

One large headline screamed about a lover killing a straying partner. A smaller news item was about a suicide after a painful separation. Everywhere, everyone seems to be coming, going, never staying together for long, he thought.

He loaded his suitcases and the box in his car. Then, he gave the house-keys to his landlord and received the deposit money. ‘Where are you going? Do you have a forwarding address?’ the landlord asked. He shrugged.

With a friendly wave from the car and a melancholic smile, he bid goodbye. At the cross-road, he squinted at the dying rays in the cool dewy late evening air, and tried to choose north, east, west or south.

8 comments :

  1. HI Mashe…

    Unlike you my attendance is prompt..! even before an hour of completion I have read it..

    It was peaceful and romantic, not the cliché one we see in some movies, but with a quite real undertone.. Both their characters seem to have a distinct nature, even the little details are lovely. But my silly mind judged him to be very old, when u said he couldn’t remember the track that was being played.. :)

    Just like ur usual ones, loved reading it..

    Keep writing more..

    Cheers,
    KP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear KP Mashe,

    Your attendance might be prompt but my replying is prompter. And I give you a special undivided attention...see, I don't place my reply along with others...HaHa...of course, that might be bcos there are no other comments...:)))

    Oye KP, even at 20, I could rarely remember the names of composers or groups...I am not "very old"...Just joking, ok? I am not the protagonist here...

    As usual, it is a great pleasure to see you here, wonderful to have a reader...

    Pinne mashe, you can also tell me what you did not like about my writing, ok? I swear I won't bash you up...tell me if I managed to deliver something, whether I managed to tell the story ok, where I have gone wrong...all that you are free to do...

    Thx once again,

    Best wishes
    Arjun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mashe.. Arjun mashe..

    I am privileged with this attention.. :) Comments doesn’t always determine the quality of the blog.. and u know that ofcourse, else u wouldnt write.. But comments do encourage us a lot!! Ingane repeated comments vere aarka kittnuna??

    I hope mine is encouraging too.. :) I know u are/may not be the protagonist here.. njan athra mandi alla!

    If i dont like it I tell.. tht is y they call me "Kp the terror" back in college.. he he (just kidding) I love each of ur post that I have read.. not even a single bit of negative remark, except that u keep it to urself.. :(

    Keep writing.. and I will keep coming..

    Cheers,
    KP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Terror mashe :)))

    Don't worry...I don't keep it to myself...I do tell you to edit when I think you should read your writing once more, don't I? Well, of course, I trust you to take it in the right spirit.

    Of course, your comment is encouraging !!! Athu parayenda aavashyam undo, mashe?

    Pinne, enthanu collegil cheythathu? :)))

    Enjoy your presence here...also enjoy your blogs...

    Cheerio
    Arjun

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual, your fiction goes way over my head; and that is not because it does not have a beginning or an end. I am just too dumb to get your messages. AND, DON'T COME BACK WITH THAT, 'my story ain't got no message!' stuff.

    Is there a phase change lurking in this story!

    Raghuram Ekambaram

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Raghuram,

    Wonderful to see you here...

    AS USUAL, LET ME COME BACK WITH:

    "Raghuram, I know that you get the message even though you deny any such knowledge." :)))))))

    HaHa...Is there a phase change? See, you guessed...

    1) This is about relationships that can't become permanent (through choice or that dreaded fate).

    2) This is a protest against people walking in and out of lives..:)))...even though it is an accepted norm and part of mature (and immature) life.

    3) This could describe my current "blogging" state...people come and go, maybe it is time for me to go...

    Phase changes are unavoidable...first-order ones (ice-water) are less dramatic but they do bring out the latent part...second-order transitions (buckling?) are more fantastic...well, mathematically, it is just about the discontinuity of an order parameter or a derivative...

    HaHa...see, when I see that you get the meaning, I like to confuse you...but I know that you will understand that, too...

    Please do stay in touch,
    Best wishes & Many thanks

    Arjun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mashe.. A token of appreciation... visit here..
    http://kplikes2blog.blogspot.com/2011/10/am-i-versatile.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot, KP mashe :))))))))))))

    Since I am supposed to be humble, I should not say more...heeheehee

    Catch you later...

    ReplyDelete